The OCIES has long promoted important exchanges of ideas and work between educators, researchers and education policy actors. It has served to bring together our contributions and develop our roles within the wider field of comparative and international education, and in doing so to link these with the World Council of Comparative Education Societies (WCCES).
The purpose of the OCIES Fellowships and Networks Programme is to support this role by providing the institutional and financial support to OCIES members to extend and increase the frequency of these endeavours. The grants will enable individual researchers and/or groups of researchers to undertake collaborations or networking initiatives between institutions and OCIES members, thereby deepening these exchanges and relationships. Funding for the Grants are sourced from OCIES conference and membership fee surplus.
The next funding round for the Grant closes 1 February 2019.
Grants of up to AUD $5000 are available and must be used within a year of receiving the grant. Applicants must be current members of OCIES and must not have been awarded a Fellowships and Networks programme grant within the past three years. Preference will be given to members who have been active members in the society. Application criteria, process and examples of eligible activities are provided below.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Activities directly contribute to strengthening relationships, awareness or understanding between CIE researchers/practitioners/students within Oceania
- Activities are achievable within the proposed timeframe, are relevant to the proposed aims and expected outcomes, and have clear outputs
- Activities benefit to OCIES as a society is demonstrated
- Budget is reasonable and represents value for money
- If research is involved, the application explains how ethics approval will be sought and/or provides evidence of ethics approval
Submit your application through this online application form by 1 February 2019.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee comprised of OCIES Exec members and representatives of the wider OCIES membership.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by March 2019.
The funds must be used within the year of approval, and a brief summary report and a newsletter item submitted upon completion.
Some examples of eligible initiatives
- Seminars or workshops that promote CIE research involving a range of participants
- Visits of CIE researchers from one institution to another within the region, during which the visiting fellow may deliver presentations, take guest lectures etc.
- Research into CIE teaching within the region
- Collaborations of CIE researchers from different Oceania institutions to produce collaborative research, discussion papers, edited volumes, Special Issues of IEJ, course development etc.
We welcome any other ideas that fit with the above criteria. If you have ideas but are unsure as to whether they fit the criteria, please get in touch with the OCIES Executive to discuss it further.
 Outputs could, for example, take the form of seminars or meetings, in which case a brief report should be provided to the OCIES executive on completion. Other types of outputs may include journal article submissions, joint grant applications, workshops, etc.